top of page

What Do I Do If My Ex-Spouse Refuses a Court Order?

Ex’s are notorious for being a headache regardless of which side of the breakup you are on. However, some people have a hard time letting go of not only the relationship but the control they had over shared assets and possibly even their ex-spouse. Situations like this are stressful and you may feel helpless, but there is still recourse for you if your ex-spouse refuses to sign documents, or follow through with a court-ordered resolution.

Mediation & Therapy

During an emotionally tumultuous event like a divorce, sometimes people aren’t thinking clearly and simply need a push in the right direction. Mediation is a way for both parties to air out their concerns and have a neutral third party to help them come to an understanding. Therapy can work in a similar way to mediation, but it may also help improve your relationship with your ex-spouse especially if children are involved and peaceful co-parenting is the goal. These are both good possible first steps if your ex-spouse is willing to meet and has the capacity for reason, but in some situations, you can find yourself wasting valuable time and money on working with someone who never planned to do the right thing in the first place.

Seek Legal Guidance

A lot of people are hesitant to get attorneys involved because they’re concerned about costs and dragging things out more than they already have. It’s understandable because divorce is already a traumatic and emotional experience, however, in most cases, it’s more cost-effective to focus on ending disputes quickly. In the best case scenario, the ex may be required to also help pay for attorney fees by court order, so the sooner you get legal counsel, the better.

One of the many techniques attorneys use to get ex-spouses to comply is by filing a motion to enforce. This is a legal request made to a judge, asking them to enforce an order by compelling the recalcitrant party to comply with its previous order or to take some other action to enforce the order. If your ex attempts to continue to ignore the order, this could end with your ex being forced to pay fines or in certain circumstances, be found in contempt of court.

Enforcement Officer

In situations where an ex refuses to make payments or sell or distribute previously shared assets like property and stocks, a special master may be ordered by the court to assist. Special Masters are individuals who are authorized by the court to carry out actions such as authorizing the sale of a property or signing documents to transfer assets.

Of course, it’s possible to do a lot of this alone, but your time and emotional well-being are extremely valuable, and the professional attorneys at View Ridge Family Law & Estate Planning are prepared for anything your ex throws your way. If you are experiencing a non-compliant ex-spouse or are considering divorce, set up a consultation by calling our office at (206) 222-6327 today.

79 views0 comments


bottom of page